I’m still trying to figure out what happened to 2016. I had big plans in January – BIG plans! Then the summer hit, I took a temporary full-time job, and BAM! More than four months gone. That put a big dent in things. I’m planning to bang that dent out and get back into shape in 2017. Here’s what it’s looking like.
Next year I’ve already booked several teaching gigs, locally, nationally, and online! You can find me at:
- The PEN Institute. In 2017 I will take over as the fiction-editing instructor for the Christian Proofreaders and Editors Network (PEN). I’ll be teaching Fiction Editing 101 and 201 next year, adding 301 in 2018.
- NMC Extended Education. Earlier this year I taught Content Writing for Business as part of the local college’s extended education program. This spring I’m repeating the class (Mar. 7) and adding a new class – Writing and Publishing a Novel that Sells (Mar. 14 & 21).
- PENCON 2017. I’ll be in Atlanta in May teaching editors what they need to know to edit fiction and how to help their authors create authentic characters.
Nothings official yet, but I hope to return to the Breathe Conference next year, and I’m currently talking with my agent about teaching at a new conference in California this fall.
I had planned to finish editing a manuscript this year. I’m almost done, but not quite. In 2017 my hubby will be on the road (he’s a truck driver now – you can find out more about my redneck honey here), so I don’t have any excuses. In 2017 I’m going to:
- Current WIP. Finish the edit. Get it to my beta reader. Get it to my agent.
- Next Book. First draft and first edit. At least.
- Spec Fiction. I started my first speculative fiction manuscript in 2015. It hasn’t been a priority, so it keeps getting pushed to the end of the to-do list. In 2017 I will finish it. Maybe even edit it.
As a PEN Institute instructor I will have to create written lessons for each class. Once I create those lessons I’m able to sell them on my own website, but first they’ll have to be formatted. I plan to have those up and ready to go by the end of the year.
That’s what I have planned for 2017 – how about you? What are you planning for the New Year? How can I help?