I know what my next novel won’t be – it won’t be about a writer.
I’d say 25-30% of the novels I’ve read recently have had writers as the main characters. Now, I know we’re supposed to write about things we know, but is there nothing else that we, as writers, know?
In an effort to help others come up with better career options for their characters I thought I’d share with you some of my experiences. That way you can contact me if you want to have a character have a different job.
Here’s what I’ve done:
1) I worked at a mini-golf course
2) I was a hotel maid (Snyder’s)
3) I worked on a ship for 5 seasons (Lake Michigan Carferry)
4) I was an Event Planner at a ski/golf resort for 5 years (Shanty Creek)
5) I am a substitute teacher
How about? What have you guys done? If I wanted to write about a nurse, could I call you? Let us know what your talents and experiences are (and feel free to contact me!).