I saw this in an article in the September 2009 Writer’s Digest. I don’t always do the prompts, but I was getting my car fixed and had time to kill.
Here it is: write 10 first sentences. Don’t think; don’t edit. Just write the first things that come to mind.
This is what I came up with:
1. I didn’t want to go to jail, but at least I knew the way.
2. Hugh jumped onto the tailgate, his head whipping around as he searched for the animal.
3. Lois dropped her head onto her desk; only two more days.
4. The car stopped. The engine exploded. I licked my ice cream cone.
5. As the screaming crowd ran around him, George slouched deeper into his seat.
6. Bob pulled up his pants and considered the blood.
7. No one even heard the scream.
8. After extensive testing, Sue realized she only had three days left.
9. “If you want to live, drop the bag.”
10. She looked like she was sleeping. How was I supposed to know Lexi was dead?
How about it? Take a few minutes and see what you come up with. I felt rushed and uncreative as I was writing these, but now that I look back at them I’m pretty impressed!